EPISODE 9 in Start to Finish, the 10 Stages of Writing of Novel series with book coach and author Jen Braaksma Trial by (Beta Reader) Fire! Whew. It’s been a long road. But wow, you’re there! A solid manuscript—the best you know how to make it. But maybe it actually isn’t good enough? Maybe you fear your best just won’t cut it. And now you have to send it out into the world? Hear people cut it down, even as you desperately hope they’ll build it up? Start with Beta Readers—strategically chosen people (not necessarily friends or family) who will offer constructive criticism and whose advice you may or may not take. Because no matter what they say, this is still your story. You’re still in charge. Join me for the ninth stage of “From Start to Finish: 10 Stages of Writing a Novel”.
- Learn how to choose the right people to be your beta readers.
- Learn how craft specific questions to guide them in their review.
- Learn how to create and keep boundaries so you get from them exactly what you need—and not what they think you need.
You will benefit from:
- A discussion of my beta reader strategies, as well as what I’ve learned from the writers I work with as a book coach.
- Focused writing exercises
- Encouragement and advice to make it through this stage
This class is for
- Writers ready to send their stories out into the world.
- Writers at any stage—how did you start to get feedback?
Jen Braaksma is a writer, book coach and high school English teacher who has been through the writing wringer—and lived to tell the tale. Her first young adult fantasy novel will be published in 2022 (though it’s her fourth manuscript, so for all you not-yet-published writers out there, keep the faith!) She’s hard at work on a new adult fantasy novel, The Fairy Tale Fringe Festival. Be the first to hear all about it in Jen’s webinar episodes!